How To Keep Your Dog Safe In The Heat
Posted by Hot Dog Collars on 05/28/15 10:55 AM
Click To Tweet "How To Help Your Dog Beat The Heat This Summer"
Is it getting hot in here or is it just me? If it is too hot outside for you, then it's hot for you dogs too. This is especially true for short nose breeds, as well as those with double coats. But really it is true for any breed of dog. Here are some quick tips on how to keep your dogs safe and comfortable this Summer.
- DO NOT EVER leave your dog in an unattended car. No matter how short of a time you think you'll be gone, or how comfortable you think the temperature is. Just don't do it
- Recognize the signs of heat stress such as rapid panting, extra drooling, or bright red mouth and gums. But especially if you see your dog not being able to stand up or maintain their balance
- Drink lots of WATER. Both you and your dog ;-)
- Be careful on surfaces such as concrete, asphalt, and sand. If you wouldn't walk on it in bare feet, then don't let your dogs
- Pests - watch out for fleas, ticks, mosquitos, fire ants, spiders, and all the other sorts of crawly things that come out in the Summer
- Heatstroke - Watch out for it and treat is ASAP if you see it. Hose your dog down with cool (not cold) water, apply ice to their head, and let the dog eat or lick ice chips or cool water. And finally call your vet or local animal hospital immediately
We've got all kinds of gear to help you beat the heat and look good doing it. From cooling water bowls, to special shoes and socks, and of course all the great beach and nautical themed collars, leads, and harnesses