They're cute, they're fun, and they've often got that big dog, i'm in charge tpye of attitude. And that's why we love them so much. Check out these 5 facts about Yorkies, and be sure to head over to our Yorkie Section on the site for some awwsome Yorkie inspired gear
- Did you know...the Yorkie breed was originally developed in the county of Yorkshire, England. Of course you knew that! But did you also know that the breed was meant to help control rodent problems in the clothing mills of Yorkshire.
- The Yorkie is now the 6th most popular breed in the US, but it wasn't always that way. In the 1940s the Yorkie, and toy breeds in general, fell out of favor in the US. It took a Yorkie who became famous in World War II, named Smoky, to spark interest in the breed again
- Yorkies do not shed! Their coat will come out only if brushed or broken. As a result, the breed is widely recognized as hypoallergenic. Though keep in mind that those with very sensitive allergies can have reactions even around so called hypoallergenic pets.
- Yorkies bark...a lot. If you have one you know that. This goes back to their natural instinct to protect and alarm their owner of something or someone of interest. But as with all dogs, excessive barking can be controlled via proper training and socialization.
- Every dog has its day...and the Yorkies had theirs on September 14, 2013 in New York City, NY. The breed is so popular in NYC that residents attempted to create the largest gathering of Yorkies ever and called it...Yorkieday. 1 pt for effort, 0 points for creativity!
Have a Yorkie? Tell us what makes yours so smart, interesting, fun, or lovable! Use the comments below or tweet at us: @HotDogCollars