- The correct pronunciation is DAKS-HUND, and not the commonly used DASH-HOUND
- The first known reference to this breed of dog called them Dachs Krieger, or "Badger Warrior". The Dachshund is a German name and literally translates to "Badger Dog". All sizes of Doxies were originally bred as hunting dogs, using a keen sense of smell, quick sharp movements, and a loud and often used bark to assist in the hunt for small animals.
- The mascot of the 1972 Olympic Summer Games in Munich was Waldi the Dachshund
- Some very famous people have been proud Doxie owners including: Adele has a Doxie named Louie, Picasso owned a doxie named Lump who is thought to have even inspired many of his works, and John F Kennedy had a Doxie for a brief time until he developed terrible allergies :(
- The Dachshund is the 10th most popular breed in the US according to AKC registration statistics
Have a doxie? Have a few of them? Tell us about some interesting things they do by using the comments below or tweeting at us: @HotDogCollars